Before you dispose of those wood ashes sitting in your fireplace or your wood burning stove, try using your wood ash these 10 different ways:
1. Use wood ash to add nutrients to your compost. Contains potash and calcium carbonate.
2. Use wood ash to deter snails from plants. Spread around the perimeter of the plant.
3. Use wood ash to add nutrients to planting holes for tomatoes by adding about half a cup to each hole.
4. Use wood ash to clean stove glass doors. Add to a damp sponge to wipe away sooty deposits.
5. Use wood ash for soap making. Soak ashes in water to make lye which is used in the soap making process.
6. Use wood ash to clean metal by making a paste with the ash.
7. Use wood ash as a dust bath for chickens, it kills lice and mites.
8. Use wood ash to remove sticky labels from glass jars by making a paste with a little water.
9. Use wood ash as a top dressing around onions, leeks and garlic.
10. Use wood ash to raise the Ph of soil if required, as an alternative to lime.
Can you think of anymore? Please share in the comments below.